Thursday, July 30, 2009

Chocolate Hazelnut Gelato

For my birthday earlier in the month I got a Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker. I searched for several days for the perfect recipe to break in my ice cream maker. When I found this recipe on Proceed With Caution, I knew that I had found my recipe. It was amazing. Rich and creamy, chocolate, hazelnut goodness. Even if I never used my ice cream maker again (and don't worry, I have. Several times.) it would have been worth the $80 just to eat this gelato. It really is that good.

Chocolate Hazelnut Gelato
Adapted From: Giada De Laurentiis
Yield: 1 Quart

2 cups milk
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 can sweetened condensed milk
4 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup Nutella
2 Tb. hot fudge topping or chocolate syrup
1/2 cup toasted hazelnuts and/or mini chocolate chips (optional), for garnish

1. In large saucepan mix milk, cream and sugar over medium. Cook, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved (about 5 minutes).
2. In bowl of stand mixer, using a whisk attachment, whip egg yolks until thick and pale, 3-4 minutes. Add sweetened condensed milk and mix for 1 minute.
3. With mixer on low speed, pour about 1/2 cup of the warm milk and egg mixture into the egg mixture. Slowly pour the tempered eggs into the saucepan with the cream mixture. Stir constantly over very low heat until mixture thickens to a thin custard (it should coat the back of a spoon when it is dipped into the mixture), about 7 - 10 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and press through a strainer. Stir in the vanilla and nutella and stir until completely melted. Cool completely (about 1 hour in the fridge or 30 minutes over an ice bath). Pour into ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's directions.
5. Serve, topped with hazelnuts and/or chocolate chips if desired.

2 comments:

Amy said...

What? You can make gelato in your ice cream maker? I have to try this.....

Unknown said...

Oh this sounds heavenly!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...