Thursday, July 29, 2010

Zucchini Parmesan

I have a confession: I've never been a fan of eggplant. And by "never been a fan" I mean "thinking about it makes me want to gag." I'm pretty sure it's because of a dinner-gone-wrong from my dad when I was a kid...every time I think of eggplant I think of his Eggplant Surprise and it's not a memory I really enjoy reliving.

Suffice it to say that I've never tried Eggplant Parmesan. I love the idea of it: veggies dredged in eggs and crunchy bread crumbs and tangy cheese, then fried and topped with marinara? If only I could get past that eggplant. Well, with our bounty of zucchini from the garden this year I thought I'd try swapping out the eggplant for zucchini and see how it tasted. One word? Amazing. It was crunchy and perfectly seasoned and delicious. And I didn't feel bad eating it at all because it's chock full of veggies. Give this a try, I think you will love it!

Zucchini Parmesan
serves 2 -3

1 large zucchini (8 - 12 inches long), cut into 1/2 inch rounds
2 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup flour
3/4 cup Italian season bread crumbs
3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
2 Tb. fresh parsley, chopped
1 Tb. butter
2 Tb. olive oil
marinara sauce
additional Parmesan cheese for topping

1. In small bowl, beat together eggs and milk. In second small bowl, combine bread crumbs, 1/2 cup cheese, and parsley. In third small bowl, put flour.
2. Heat butter and olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Dip each piece of zucchini first in the flour mixture, turning to coat evenly and shaking off any excess. Then dip in egg mixture and then in bread crumb mixture. Place in heated skillet and repeat with remaining zucchini. Cook for about 5 minutes on each side, or until crispy and browned. Top with warm marinara sauce, additional cheese, and fresh parsley is desired.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...