Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Classic No-Bake Cookies

I'm pretty sure that everyone has had these at least once in their lives. I grew up on these babies and loved making them all the time when I was younger. They were also the first recipe I made in my foods class in 7th grade...which should tell you that they're quick and pretty much fool proof if a bunch of 12 year olds can make them. And I don't have to tell you that they're a crowd-please. Chocolate. Peanut Butter. Oatmeal. You really can't go wrong with ingredients like that. I brought these to a picnic with some friends recently and everyone was thrilled, and the tray was empty in no time. These are perfect for hot summer days when you're craving something sweet but don't want to turn on the oven or take a lot of time making something. I spruced mine up by drizzling them with semi-sweet and white chocolate, but even without it, they taste wonderful.

Classic No-Bake Cookies

2 cups sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
1/2 cup milk (preferably not skim)
1/2 cup butter (I use unsalted, if you use salted butter omit the additional salt)
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup peanut butter (smooth or chunky, I prefer smooth)
4 cups quick cooking oatmeal

1. Combine sugar, salt, cocoa, milk and butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil.
2. Remove from heat and cool for one minute. Add vanilla, peanut butter and oatmeal and stir until peanut butter is completely melted and mixture is well combined.
3. Immediately drop by tablespoonfuls onto waxed paper, and flatten slightly with the back of a spoon or your fingers. Cool completely before serving. Store in airtight container for up to 3 days.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Yum! I just started following your blog, and so far everything looks delicious! These are a classic at my house - recently we had a family reunion where we played a family trivia game, and one of the questions had to do with knowing the recipe of no-bake cookies, and everyone had it memorized!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...