Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Apple Cake

During the fall I always crave apple desserts. Maybe it comes from growing up with lots of apples from my grandpa's orchard. Maybe it's just because my dad is the biggest fruit-a-holic of all time and he passed that on to us. This is a recipe from my mom and it just wouldn't be fall without having appple cake at least once. I started early this year and made it before the first official day of fall even hit, I just couldn't wait one more day for the delicious aroma and even more amazing taste of this cake.

Apple Cake
Cake:
2 c. sugar (I used half Splenda and half regular sugar)
1/2 c. butter or margarine, softened
2 eggs
2 c. flour
4 c. shredded apples (I used a mixture of granny smith, jonagold, and honeycrisp)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. nutmeg (optional--I leave this out because I have issues with nutmeg, but if you like nutmeg go ahead and add it)

Topping:
1 c. chopped walnuts or pecans
2 T. melted butter or margarine
1 c. brown sugar (I used 1/2 cup brown sugar Splenda instead)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine all cake ingredients in large bowl and mix well. Pour into greased 9x13 pan.
3. Combine all topping ingredients and sprinkle evenly over cake batter.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until top is golden brown and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean or mostly clean.
5. Cool slightly and top with whipped cream. It is best warm!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...