Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Essentials: Limes



There are very few things that add a burst of flavor and intensity like a good lime. Sweet, sour and flavourful, they're the perfect compliment to a wide array of flavours, but I like it the best with spicy food. Nothing improves a good taco, or curry, than a squeeze of lime.

But don't think that this is the only way to use the delightful lime. Adding some lime juice to something as unlikely as a pot roast can have wonderful effects. The acid in the juice will help to break down and tenderize the meat, while just adding a hint of the taste. You'll be shocked at the difference.

Don't be afraid to branch out and try different kinds of limes. Everyone knows (and should love) the standard Persian lime that is available everywhere around the United States. Most people even have a passing acquaintance with its smaller, tarter cousin the key lime. But have you had a Kaffir lime (Try the leaves! They're a great addition to Thai recipes!)? Or a blood lime? They're pretty fabulous. One of my personal favorites is the Palestine lime. It's a sweeter hybrid between the standard Persian lime and a sweet lemon or citron. Very, very tasty.

If you can't tell already, I love limes. They're just something that you should have around to add to any recipe, or to serve as a garnish. They're important, tasty and fun. You might as well just say that they're essential.

2 comments:

aubrie said...

I had no idea there were so many different kinds of limes! I'll have to keep my eyes out for some of those other varieties. Thanks for posting! It's seriously made my day.

Valerie Griswold said...

This made my day too! I'm definitely a lime fan through and through. I grilled some salmon the other day with fresh lime, delish. Anyway thanks for the informative post!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...