I needed to make a treat to take to our neighbors today, and I wanted something light and fruity for a summery treat. I adapted this recipe from one I found in an old Kraft Food & Family Magazine from last year. These are seriously delicious, and addicting. Perfect for us since both Corey & I love anything lemony. Plus, did I mention that they're super quick & easy. That's always an added bonus.
Light Lemon Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
Makes 24 cupcakes
1 pkg. white cake mix
1 pkg (4-serving size) sugar free lemon pudding
1 1/4 cups water
3 large eggs
2 Tb. oil
1 lb. powdered sugar
1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 lemon, zested and juiced
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tsp. vanilla
3 Tb. granulated sugar
lemon zest and/or fresh raspberries (optional, for garnish)
1. Preheat oven to 350. Line 24 muffin cups with paper liners.
2. In bowl of electric mixer, beat cake mix, dry pudding mix, water, oil, and eggs on medium speed for 2 - 3 minutes, scraping sides of bowl as needed. Batter will be very thick. Divide evenly among prepared muffin cups.
3. Bake for 16 - 20 minutes, or until tops of cupcakes spring back when lightly touched. Cool completely.
4. Beat powdered sugar, cream cheese, butter, lemon juice, and lemon zest with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended (about 2 minutes).
5. Whip heavy whipping cream, vanilla, and granulated sugar until stiff peaks form (about 5 minutes). Gently fold into frosting.
6. Frost cupcakes with prepared frosting. Garnish with lemon zest or fresh raspberries, if desired. Serve immediately or refrigerate up to 24 hours.