Tuesday, February 3, 2009
Fresh Peach Cake with Caramel Sauce
I've had this recipe bookmarked on google reader for months, and I've just been waiting for the perfect opportunity to make it. Fresh peaches don't tend to be very good during the winter (or a very good price), but I found some good looking ones for a great price last week and immediately thought of this recipe. I whipped it up for dessert tonight and I was not disappointed. This was delicious! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did, even if you have to wait for a couple months to get fresh peaches. Trust me, it's worth the wait. I halved the recipe and baked it in 6 mini bundt cake pans for cute individual desserts.
Fresh Peach Cake
1 1/2 cups sugar (or use part Splenda and part sugar)
2 eggs + 2 egg whites
3/4 cup oil
1 1/3 cups mashed peaches
2 cups flour
1 tsp. soda
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
2/3 cup finely diced fresh peaches
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tsp. flour
1/2 cup butter
2 egg yoks
2/3 cup evaporated milk or 1/2 cup whipping cream + 3 Tb. skim milk
2 tsp. vanilla
fresh whipped cream
fresh peaches, peeled and sliced
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour bundt pan, 2 loaf pans, or 12 mini bundt pans (about 1 cup each).
2. Beat eggs, sugar, and oil with electric mixer on high until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add mashed peaches and mix until combined. Add flour, soda, cinnamon, and salt. Stir in diced peaches.
3. Pour into greased pan and bake for 30 - 35 minutes (20 minutes for mini bundt pans) or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Immediately invert onto cooling rack.
4. Meanwhile, prepare caramel sauce by combining all sauce ingredients in medium saucepan. Stir well with whisk. Boil over low heat until thickened and brown, stirring well (don't leave it unattended or it will burn). Cool slightly.
5. Serve cake topped with caramel sauce and garnished with whipped cream and sliced peaches.