Monday, March 2, 2009

Lemon Jell-O Dessert

If heaven was a dessert, I'm pretty sure it would be this...smooth, creamy, light, fluffy, lemony. I know that the title for the dessert isn't anything exciting, but this is an old family recipe that my grandma and mom have been making for as long as I can remember (and I'm sure it's been much longer than that) and I can't make myself change the name.

Lemon Jell-O Dessert

1 pkg. (4 serving size) lemon flavored Jell-O
3/4 cup hot water
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons, squeezed)
1 tsp. lemon zest
1 cup sugar
1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk, chilled
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup butter, melted

1. Bring water to a boil over medium heat. Stir in Jell-O until completely dissolved. Add lemon juice, zest, and sugar and stir until dissolved. Cool 2-3 hours or until syrup stage.
2. Beat syrup with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Set aside.
3. In large stand mixer, beat chilled evaporated milk until stiff peaks form. Fold in gelatin mixture. Set aside.
4. Melt butter and mix well into graham cracker crumbs. Press into bottom of 9 x 13 inch glass pan. Spread gelatin/milk mixture evenly over the top. Sprinkle with additional graham cracker crumbs, if desired. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, until firm.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...