Monday, July 18, 2011

S'mores Bars

I know it's completely shocking to see a new post on here after four months of absolutely nothing. I'm currently 20 weeks pregnant and I've been ridiculously sick my entire pregnancy. I haven't been cooking nearly as much as I was before (what with food sounding repulsive and all) and when I do actually whip something up, it's usually a tried-and-true recipe that is already posted on here because I know I'll like it. I'm finally feeling a little more like eating and wanting to get back in the kitchen, and I've been doing a lot more cooking. I have lots of pictures and recipes to post, and hopefully I'll find some time (and energy!) to get some of them on here.



I thought this would be a great welcome-back-to-blogging recipe to share with all of you. I remembered seeing these on another food blog a year or so ago and when I was thinking of a treat to make for our 4th of July barbecue, I knew that these would be the perfect treat. They are easy to throw together (no bonfire required!) and everyone loved them (you should have seen the looks on everyone's faces--kids and adults--when I brought these in the house, we couldn't wait to finish lunch so we could dig in to these). They are definitely not healthy, but in small doses for a fun summer treat I think they're totally worth the splurge. Enjoy!

S'mores Bars
adapted from food.com

1 bag (16 ounces) mini marshmallows, divided
1 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips or chunks (I used chopped Hershey's bars so they'd feel like authentic s'mores)
5 Tablespoons butter
1/4 cup light corn syrup
5 cups graham-flavored cereal (like Golden Grahams)

1. Line 9 x 13 inch pan with parchment paper. Spray lightly with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Reserve 1 1/2 cups mini-marshmallows. Combine remaining marshmallows, chocolate chips, butter and corn syrup in a large pot over low heat. Stir continuously until completely melted and combined (watch carefully as chocolate burns easily). Immediately stir in cereal. Cool slightly, then stir in 1 cup mini marshmallows.
3. Spread into prepared pan (I found it easiest to do this by scraping it out with a rubber spatula, and then pressing it into the pan with fingers sprayed with non-stick cooking spray--the cereal mixture is really sticky!) Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup marshmallows over the top of the bars.
4. Cool completely, then cut into 20-24 pieces (they are really rich so you don't want to cut them too big). Sit back, relax and enjoy the taste of summer s'mores without having to stand over a fire in the heat trying to get your marshmallow cooked to perfection!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...