Friday, January 23, 2009

Pie Crust


Did you know that today is National Pie Day? Don't feel bad, I didn't find out until yesterday. Which means that, naturally, I spent today making some delicious pies. I couldn't make just one, not for an exciting holiday like this. I'll post some of the other recipes over the next week, but I thought I'd start out with this recipe for pie crust. It's a family favorite that I've been making since I was...10 maybe? Maybe earlier, I'm not sure. But it's delicious and if a 10 year old can make it, so can you!

Pie Crust

2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup shortening
1/3 cup milk
1 T. vinegar

1. Mix flour, salt, and sugar in medium bowl.
2. Cut butter and shortening into dry ingredients with a pastry cutter or two knives until mixture forms small crumbs.
3. Add vinegar into milk and let sit for one minute. Add to other ingredients and mix until just combined.
4. Divide dough into two or three balls. Place one ball on lightly floured surface. Roll pie dough into circle about 1/8 - 1/4 inch (depending on how thick you like your crust). Fold in half, then in thirds, and move to pie pan.
5. Fill with your favorite pie filling and bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes, then decrease temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 45 more minutes. For an unbaked filling (cream filling, pudding, banana cream, etc.) prick the pie crust all over with a fork. Bake at 375 degrees for 12 - 15 minutes or until lightly browned.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...